- This event has passed.
The ‘Circular Economy’ in Qatar construction
April 8 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
There was a strong attendance at the “Circular Economy in Qatar Construction” event on April 8th 2019, demonstrating active interest in the topic in Qatar. The event was organized by the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) and Constructing Excellence, and hosted by Ashghal at Ashghal Tower 3, West Bay, Doha.
Resource efficiency is a high priority in Qatar, and Circular Economy is rapidly emerging internationally as a recognized key means of achieving both sustainable use of resources and economic development. The objective of the evening was to raise awareness of the importance of Circular Economy, current initiatives and potential for development in Qatar.
Key speakers provided short presentations, these were followed by a facilitated open-forum discussion. Speakers were:
- IEMA – Mr. David McKenna, Principal Sustainability Consultant, Hilson Moran: “Circular Economy – an Overview”.
- Ministry of Municipality & Environment- Dr. Daniel Ochoa: “MME Projects Related to Waste Treatment”.
- Ashghal – Dr. Charles Nunoo: “Ashghal use of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP) and Crumb Rubber Modified Asphalt (CRMB)”.
- Elite Paper Recycling – Mr Abdulla al Suwaidi, Owner & Chairman: “Generating new Enterprise – Circular Economy in Qatar”.
Their slides where available can be downloaded here:
For the discussion panel facilitated by Jacobs’ Harry Sealy, the chair of MENA region of IEMA, the speakers were joined by:
- Ahmad al Ansari, Manager of the Technical Office, Ashghal
- Ian Nicholson, CEEQUAL, BRE
- Howard Bevan, Al Attiyah Foundation.
The online polling tool sli.do was used to capture views on knowledge and importance of the topic as well as questions for the panel and ideas for future activities. Reports of this polling are available here:
The intention is that this is the first of such seminars with a view to supporting key stakeholders in developing Circular Economy in Qatar. When asked, a significant proportion of attendees expressed interest in volunteering to participate in future workshops that may be organized by IEMA to progress cross-sectoral thinking on key aspects associated with Circular Economy, e.g. waste management, feasibility, supply chain etc. You can confirm your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Howard Bevan of the Al Attiyah Foundation forwarded this video to us after the event, it is a great introduction to the subject and we recommend a quick view.